Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» Crowd Funding Shoutouts
Bashar
 Posted: May 5 2013, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Group: SYSOP
Member No.: 1

This thread is to mention projects that are being funded through crowd source operations like Kickstarter or Indiegogo. If there's a project being crowd funded that you want to share with the others, please feel free to mention it here.

One project that I'm currently backing is the adventure game, A Small Favor. Funding closes on May 15th and the project is still twenty grand short, so right now it'd be a big favor to ClickShake Games if you were to decide to back them. Personally, I like Small Favor for several reasons. One big one is that it features a laser gun that's more than just a means of destruction but implemented as a tool to overcome obstacles and solve puzzles. You essentially play as a freelance enforcer for a crime lord from whom you're trying to get out from under their thumb by doing "favors" and erasing your debt. The subversive nature of the game is also appealing to me.

Another project I'm favourable toward is Jagged Alliance: Flashback which is an officially licensed prequel to the classic tactical combat game, Jagged Alliance. When it comes to this genre a lot of people like to talk about X-Com, especially with the reboot developed by Firaxis; however, for me, Jagged Alliance constitutes the epitome of turn-based tactical combat games. It was also packed with charm as the mercenaries you hired each had their own scripted personalities, some of which would clash, and you had to organize, outfit, and lead them on operations while maintaining a budget. The Full Control studio promises to bring back the magic of what made the original franchises so enjoyable and I'm looking forward to playing this game on its release. Funding concludes on May 23rd.

A few projects that I supported in the past which are still accepting pledges through PayPal are:
  • Hero-U: There's no campaign that I put more effort in to promoting that this, an no experience that has had a greater impact on my deciding to pursue my own crowd funded venture. Hero-U is a hybrid adventure-game/RPG, developed by husband and wife team Lori and Corey Cole. These are the same people who created the Quest for Glory series, which is one of the most important titles I've played in my gaming history. Though it's a low budget title, Hero-U promises to make us rethink the way we look at computer roleplaying games.
  • Moebius: Moebius is the first crowd funding effort I ever backed, and I've never looked back since. Developed by veteran designer and award winning author Jane Jensen, Moebius is a mystery adventure game with a supernatural bent. Think of X-Files but with more grounding or a Dan Brown book that actually makes sense. With well developed characters and a deep storyline, if you ever wanted to know what a novel looked like in computer game form, you need look no farther than one of Jane Jensen's games.
  • The Last Door: Developed by Spain-based indie developer The Game Kitchen, The Last Door is a pixel-art adventure game inspired by the works of Edgar Allen Poe and HP Lovecraft. The low fidelity of the graphics, well scripted audio, and the superbly composed score of melancholic pieces are intended to harness the player's imagination to create moods that graphics alone can not achieve. Although currently limited to the pilot chapter, the music alone is worth the price of admission in my book.
  • Star Citizen : The most crowd funded game in history, this title is the spiritual successor to one of my favourite games of all tome: Wing Commander Privateer, which let you be your own Han Solo type character. You could pilot your spaceship and freely choose to become a merchant, pirate, mercenary, or bounty hunter. In Star Citizen, designer Chris Roberts promises to take what made Privateer great and turn it into a multiplayer experience. See you in the space lanes!

PMEmail Poster
^
Sio
 Posted: May 12 2013, 06:50 PM
Quote Post

Group: KS Backer
Member No.: 2

I'd like to mention AR-K, which is a point and click adventure game. I wasn't totally convinced after seeing the video, but I most definitely was after playing the demo. Find the demo here.
PM
^
nockgeneer
 Posted: May 31 2013, 01:59 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 11

For those who haven't been following any particular kickstarter game's comments thread, check out Armikrog—a point-and-click adventure game that presents itself using claymation of all things. Even the old Wallace & Gromit cheaped out and went 3D for their foray into the world of computer games. This one should be fun.
PM
^
Intendant S
 Posted: Jun 23 2013, 12:28 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 3

I'm sure most of you know by now about KickstartVentures, a blog created to keep track of past, present, and future Kickstarter and Indigogo adventure game projects. I'm one of the writers for it, and we have more than just news. We also have previews, reviews, some upcoming interviews, and other articles and videos. If you're not already following us, the links to our Facebook page, Twitter feed, and website URL are below:

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/kickstartventuresblog
TWITTER: https://twitter.com/KS_Ventures
WEB SITE: http://www.kickstartadventure.com/home/

--------------------
"Isn't it a little late to be developing a conscience?"
PMUsers Website
^
penguinfan
 Posted: Sep 20 2013, 01:23 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 7

Fellow Timothy Zahn fans here might want to keep an eye on the Parallax project -- a turn-based sci-fi game where he is going to design the alien factions (some from his books, some new ones). The current campaign is going to be cancelled soon due to lack of understanding on how crowdfunding works, but they are very open to suggestions and want to get things right on a relaunch
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/protot...-the-gala/posts
PM
^
Bashar
 Posted: Oct 2 2013, 09:23 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Group: SYSOP
Member No.: 1

A mention here for the Ram Rocket. This is a compression system designed to turn waste materials into construction bricks. I'm a big fan of green initiatives that are efficient and pay their own way and this one fits the bill. It's relatively cheap, uses materials that have already been discarded, and creates materials that lay builders can use to construct housing. I love design and the design sounds really good.

I've pledged a token $10 but I do have some concerns right now. For one, I can't really find any objective information corroborating that the machine will actually function as the developers claim it well. They have no endorsements from anybody who I can verify or in whose reputation I can trust. This is also the second time RamRocket has attempted funding through Kickstarter, and this time they're asking for almost a third of the money they wanted the first time around, which is also above the amount that was pledged during that first campaign. The number seems tailor picked to succeed.

On the whole, though, the developers' PR sucks. Serena and Penguinfan have more marketing acumen in their little finger than these guys do. So it could be just that they don't know how to instill trust in their product and brand. But I wish some of those people who hounded Elementary to its death would set their investigative skills to something that really matters. I want to believe in RamRocket since I see the great potential for good such a system has. I'm skeptical of it being too good to be true, especially since I know nothing about the building industry to make a qualified opinion.
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll